Controlled Substance Ordering System (CSOS)
The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Controlled Substance Ordering System (CSOS) allows for secure electronic transmission of Schedule II controlled substance orders without the triplicate paper Form 222. The electronically transmitted order contains a digital version of a traditional written signature. The digital signature is accomplished using a computer file known as a Digital Certificate.
How do I get a Digital Certificate?
1. Enroll in CSOS at https://www.deaecom.gov/applycert.html.
2. Follow the instructions and allow approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your Digital Certificate.
Remote Certificate Store (RCS) Setup
Remote Certificate Store (RCS) allows you to upload your DEA-issued Digital Signing Certificate to an Express222™ certificate store for CSOS order signing. This enables you the flexibility to sign CSOS orders from any browser on any internet-enabled device.
BACKUP COPY OF USER’S DIGITAL SIGNING CERTIFICATE
NOTE: CSOS certificate files would be saved as either a .p12 or .pfx file type.
Certificate File Downloaded Via Firefox
The certificate file would have been saved directly to your Downloads folder as a .p12 file. The file name and backup file password would have been entered by the person who downloaded the certificate from the DEA.
Certificate File Downloaded Via Internet Explorer
1. Click on Tools > Internet Options > Content tab > Certificates.
2. Highlight the correct certificate (your certificate will be issued by CSOS CA and will match the expiration date of the DEA license) and select Export.
3. Click Next.
4. Select Yes, export the private key and click Next.
5. Add a check next to Export all extended properties and click Next.
6. Enter and confirm a backup file password for the certificate you are exporting.
7. Select Next > Select Browse.
8. Name the file something easily recognizable (ex: CSOS Signing Certificate) and save it to your Desktop.
9. Click Next > then click Finish.
10. If you receive a pop up for private key, Select OK. (It may require you to enter your private key password, which is the CSOS signing password you created when the certificate was originally downloaded.)
11. Select OK on the Export was successful window.
The backup copy of your certificate is now saved to your Desktop.
Uploading Your Digital Signing Certificate to RCS
BEFORE USING RCS TO SIGN CSOS ORDERS, YOU MUST UPLOAD YOUR CERTIFICATE:
1. Login to your https://express222.com/ account and select Manage Digital Certificates.
• Note: If prompted, select the correct Trading Partner and click the Select and Continue button.
2. Click I Agree in the Remote Certificate Wizard and follow the on-screen instructions to setup your RCS.
Placing an Order
1. Go to https://express222.com/ and click on Customer Login
2. Enter your username and password
3. From the Main Menu, click on Create, Send, and Manage e222 Forms.
4. Select Create a New Order.
5. Begin selecting all items and quantities that you wish to order.
6. Click Save and Continue.
7. Finalize your order.
8. Confirm all info on screen and add PO number and special instructions if necessary.
9. Click Save Order Now.
10. After submitting the order, you will be prompted to select a valid Digital Certificate to electronically sign the order.
11. Select your certificate, and submit your password when prompted. This password is one you created for the use of your certificate.
12. The digital certificate is instantly reviewed. If valid, a confirmation will appear on your screen and provide you with a tracking number. You will also receive an email confirming of the items requested.
13. DV Medical will process and send the order to your DEA registered address.